BOX SCORE: Clemson 69 Long Beach State 55
Tanner Smith led all scorers with 17 points, matching his career from a year ago (also against Long Beach State) while Andre Young and Demontez Stitt added 12 and 10 points respectively.
The Tigers opened the game with an 11-6 run and never looked back on their way to their third win in as many games this season.
The Tigers will face Old Dominion on Sunday, Nov. 21 at 6:00 PM
Eastern time. The game will be televised live by Fox College Sports.
Clemson converted on 10-of-17 three point shots in the 14 point win, including four from Andre Young, who made 4-of-7 from behind the arc.
The Tigers also shot over 50 percent from the field for the third consecutive game.
* Clemson defeated Long Beach State by a score of 69-55 Friday to move
into the winner's bracket of the 2010 Paradise Jam.
* This is the second straight season the Tigers have defeated Long Beach
State in a regular season tournament. Last year, Clemson downed the 49ers
by a score of 87-79 in Anaheim's 76 Classic.
* Sunday's game will be the first meeting against Old Dominion since the
2007-08 season, when Clemson claimed a 66-53 victory at Littlejohn
Coliseum. The two teams also played in 2006-07 at the Cox Classic at Old
Dominion, with the Tigers coming away with a 74-70 victory.
* Clemson holds a 2-1 advantage all-time in the series with Old Dominion.
The Monarchs won the first meeting between the two in 1978-79 in double
* Sunday's game will be a battle between a pair of NCAA Tournament teams
from last season. The Monarchs upset Notre Dame in the first round last
year, while the Tigers lost to Missouri in the opening round.
* In Friday's win, the Tigers once again shot 50 percent or better from
the field. Clemson hit 24-of-48 field goals for an even 50 percent. The
Tigers have shot 50 percent or better in three straight games to open the
* Clemson shot a season-best 59 percent from three-point range Friday.
The Tigers hit 10-of-17 shots, with six different players responsible for
* Clemson won the points off turnover battle for the third straight game.
The Tigers took advantage of 21 Long Beach State turnovers and turned them
into 21 points.
* Nine different players scored in Friday's game. The only two that did
not were walk-ons Zavier Anderson and Jonah Baize, who were inserted in
the final minutes of the game.
* Head Coach Brad Brownell moved to 13-2 all-time in regular season four-
and eight-team tournaments. He won eight-team events at both UNC
Wilmington and Wright State.
* Brownell faced the Old Dominion program seven times during his four
years at UNC Wilmington. Amazingly, he will be in search of his first win
ever against the Monarchs on Sunday, despite the fact his Seahawks won a
pair of Colonial Athletic Association championships in his tenure with the
* The Clemson program has now won 14 of its last 16 games in regular
season tournaments, dating to 2005. The only losses during that time were
to Ole Miss in 2007 and Texas A&M in 2009. The Tigers have won the San
Juan Shootout (2005), Cox Classic (2006) and Charleston Classic (2008)
during that span.
* Tanner Smith matched his career-high with 17 points. Ironically, his
previous career high of 17 also came against Long Beach State last season.
* Smith hit 4-of-7 shots, including 2-of-3 from long range, and all seven
of his free throw attempts for his 17-point performance. His free throw
tally came one game after shooting a career-worst 1-for-6 against Wofford.
* Smith played an outstanding all-around game, leading the team in
rebounds (6) and tying for the team lead in assists (4).
* Andre Young hit 4-of-7 from three for a 12-point effort. He now needs
just two long-range goals to reach 100 for his career. When he does, he
will be the 16th player in school history to reach the century mark.
* Young hit a buzzer-beater three to end the opening half. It is the
third time in his career he has done that for Clemson. Last season, he
hit a half-court three at Florida State and one just before half against
* Demontez Stitt was a third player to reach double figures for Clemson.
The senior scored 10 points and added three assists, despite leaving the
game for a few minutes due to a bloody nose following incidental contact.
* Jerai Grant blocked two shots in Friday's game to bring his career total
to 122. He needs just five blocks to pass John "Moose" Campbell (1977-80)
for seventh place in Clemson's record books.
* Milton Jennings and Bryan Narcisse both made their first three-point
goal of the season. Jennings added four rebounds in 20 minutes of play.
Narcisse finished with five points. It was Narcisse's first made
three-point goal since he made two against Presbyterian in the season
opener last season (span of 23 games played).
CLEMSON - Jerai Grant was bedridden with the flu during Clemson's 87-79 win over Long Beach State in…